To reduce the risk of problems occurring, we recommend all adults:
- Brush their teeth and gums for at least two minutes, twice a day with a fluoride-containing toothpaste
- Use a mouthwash daily at a different time to brushing
- Clean daily in-between teeth with floss or interdental brushes
- Keep consumption of sugary foods to a minimum and at mealtimes only
- Visit their dentist and hygienist regularly to maintain a healthy mouth.
Advice for Children:
- As soon as teeth appear, they need to be brushed twice a day
- Children will need to have their teeth brushed for them until around the age of seven
- If your child is brushing their own teeth, make sure to check they have cleaned every surface – use disclosing tablets to highlight areas where bacteria are building up on the teeth
- Use a small toothbrush with a pea-sized amount of toothpaste and brush teeth for at least two minutes, twice a day
- Make sure your child spits out any excess toothpaste
- A fluoride mouth rinse can be used daily from the age of eight years.